Certain items are considered Expedition Resources. They have the following qualities:
- If even one character in the group is carrying a single quantity of the resource, there is a sufficient amount for the entire group to use.
- They have an expected use that does not ordinarily deplete the resource.
- Creative uses of the resource trigger aLuck Rollthat may deplete the resource.
- If nobody in the group has the resource, the party suffers some negative effect.
The meaning of "group" obviously changes if characters get split up.
- Expected use: Eating dinner
- Example creative uses: Dropping food to distract monsters
- Penalty when lacking: Group is Deprived if they fail to eat their required daily meal. Remain Deprived until they eat food again.
- Expected use: Drinking water duringShort Reststo recover HP.
- Example creative uses: Dousing a fire, mixing a potion from herbs.
- Penalty when lacking: Group is immediately Deprived. Remain so until they drink water again.
Lanterns & fuel
- Expected use: Lighting the darkness.
- Example creative uses: Pouring lantern oil to start a blaze.
- Penalty when lacking: Stumbling blindly in the darkness. (Veins of the Earth has great rules for handling this.)
Basic camping equipment
- Expected use: Sleeping comfortably outdoors.
- Example creative uses: Catching a leopard in a sleeping bag and throwing it into the river.
- Penalty when lacking: Group is Deprived if they try to sleep in the rough. Remain so until sleeping overnight somewhere comfortable.
Basic climbing equipment
- Expected use: Assist with basic, vertical climbs.
- Example creative uses: Tying something up with the included rope. Using included pitons to spike a door.
- Penalty when lacking: Basic, vertical climbs become risky, require a DEX save.
Luck Roll for Resources
Creative uses of an Expedition Resource, occurrences that would put a resource at risk (e.g. falling into a putrid pit, dropping a lantern into the water, body engulfed in flames), and other situations that raise the question "Has this resource been used up?" should result in a d6 Luck Roll:
|1||The resource is depleted|
|2-3||The Expedition Resource has 1 use (expected or creative) remaining|
Credit: Adapted from Brian Harbron.
Designer's Note: If you prioritize simplicity in tracking, this does the job. I personally won't be using this system for Knave, but I will be using it for Into the Odd, for which it was originally designed.